Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Candle Making

I don't know about you guys, but I always hate to throw away what's left of a candle after it burns, so I save all the pieces in baggies all year and when I don't have anymore room on my shelf, I get my candle making stuff out and start melting down the wax and pouring into molds to make "new" candles. I always have candles burning, so we go through a lot of them. Last night I got a wild hair and decided it was time again. The only real problem I have is when the wax cools and the center sinks down into the candle; then you have to keep re-pouring until the wax stays level. What I found this time is that I must be doing something wrong, because when I took them out of their molds, I had these rings on the top that kept chipping off, so I had to do some surgery on the top, LOL. They actually turned out pretty good though.
I have wax blocks too that I melt down and put in colors and smells, but I don't do that as often as the melting down of the prior candles I have purchased.
A while back my husband got a hold of some PVC pipe and glued an acrylic sheet on the bottoms and made me three more molds. The tallest one, and the one to the left and the short round tan one are all from the PVC pipe molds. The rest are from molds I purchased.
I think I need to practice some more to see if I can't make them a little prettier or fancy or something. Maybe some of these need some designer series paper, ribbons or maybe some rub-ons. What do you think? Maybe I'll play with them a bit and see what I can come up with.
Enjoy!!

No comments: