Thursday, April 30, 2009

Etched Glass Plate

I can't remember how long ago I made my husband stop on the way home from somewhere because I HAD TO HAVE a glass etching cream to try on a plate or something. He finally stopped, we got what I was looking for and it sat in the closet for I'll bet a year. I watched something the other day that reminded me that I had it and that I had a number of glass dishes and bowls to use it on. Well, I got out my BIG SHOT and my Tulipe Bigz Die and cut out the image from some vinyl I purchased from Stampin' Up a while ago. I punched out the inside of the image and attached the outline to the bottom of my glass plate. I pressed it down around all the edges carefully so there weren't any areas the etching cream could creep in. I applied my etching cream heavily with a Q-tip and let lay aside for 10-15 minutes while I played with something else.
When I first went back to wash the etching cream off, I didn't think it had done anything and I was really disappointed, but after it was all washed off and the template was removed, I realized as it was drying that it had worked perfectly.
What fun is this??? Now I can't wait to trying else really fun.... don't you want to try this too? If you do, take a picture and let me see what have done.
I know a lot of you are looking for ideas for Teachers Gifts for the end of the year. This is one idea and I have several more that I want to share with you in the next week or so. If you wanted to do one like this, you could give one plate (the dollar store has lots of plates like this, it's very economical). The only other cost you would have is the etching cream if you already have a template for the image. You can also use a solid image for the spotlight and the etching is all around it covering the whole center of the bottom of the plate. To use as a gift, you can purchase a set of 4 plates or maybe a set with a plate, a bowl and maybe a mug (table setting) and etch a matching image on each one.
If you want more information on how to do this, please contact me.
HAPPY ETCHING!!!!!

1 comment:

JulieA said...

That is so pretty! I love what you did here!